No sign shall be erected, constructed, altered, relocated or modified without first obtaining a permit pursuant to the provisions of this title unless specifically exempted herein.
(1) Permit – Number Required. A separate permit shall be required for a sign or signs for each business location. If the business entity’s sign is part of a group of signs for a business location, only one permit shall be required at the time of application.
(2) Permit – Time Limitation. If, after the issuance of a sign permit, the operations authorized thereunder are not completed or substantially completed within 180 days after the date of the permit, such sign permit shall be automatically null and void.
(3) Revocation of Permit. The Building Official may, in writing, suspend or revoke a permit issued under provisions of this chapter whenever the permit is issued in error or on the basis of incorrect information or whenever the sign is in violation of any ordinance, regulation or provision of this chapter.
(4) Change of Copy. The holder of a permit, for the duration thereof, shall have the right to change the advertising copy on the structure or sign for which the permit was issued, without being required to pay any additional fees.
(5) Wall Sign and Mural Maintenance. Failure to properly maintain the media used within a painted wall sign or mural or artwork as defined herein shall be sufficient grounds to revoke the sign permit.
(6) Interpretation. In all applications for permits where a matter of interpretation arises, the most restrictive definition shall prevail. Approval shall be dependent upon the showing that the proposed sign meets the specific size and type criteria required under this title and is compatible with the surrounding environment. The Building Official shall consider the proposed sign’s form, proportion, scale, color, materials, surface treatment, overall sign size, and the size and styling of the lettering considering its relationship with other nearby signs, other elements of the street and site improvements and with adjacent structures.